
It's hard to teach a baby who may be smarter than I am. She is always watching. The voice in my head as I latch the compost cabinet is the voice of the Australian gameskeeper from Jurrasic Park: "They remember..."
Example: When Mary accidentally bonked me in the head, I clapped my hands over my face and moaned, "Ooooh! My nose!" After I had recovered Mary smiled her sweet smile and laughed her sweet laugh, so I continued to perform the "Oooh! My nose!" dance. Over and over for longer and longer periods of time. Eventually I realized that my dance was not entertaining; the baby just needed 10 seconds to get her mischief done and she was willing to wait five minutes to get it. When I peeked between my fingers she was sneaking away.
I should be grateful Mary didn't just give me another head butt to the nose to keep my eyes closed.
I believe you might have called it when you claimed, "Sneak. Thief." Which is fine because she will always get what she is after; and she will grow into a woman who is after grace and love and generousity and peace. This we proclaim about her knowing her parents as we do.
ReplyDeleteAunt Lenora
That is so sweet. If she ends up choosing grace, love, generosity, peace and famous diamonds, there's a good chance she'll get away with it.
ReplyDeleteWe all just hope she shares. Someone has to pay for my 95th birthday party, and as things are going, it won't be me. ;)
ReplyDeleteAunt Lenora